Chemo.Â Now there’s a fun word.Â Lemme tell ya about it.
First off, it could have certainly been worse, much worse.Â That being said, it could have been better too.Â Here are some of the highlights, and lowlights of chemo:
- Digestive issues:Â Yep, I had ’em.Â They took about a week or so to hit me.Â I did have quite a bit of nausea, but I never bolted for the bathroom or the trashcan.Â Grade:C
- Color changes:Â Yep, had those too.Â I turned a really cool bright red on days 2 & 3 after chemo.Â I did not itch, peel, or burn.Â I just changed color.Â I am glad I did not look like Papa Smurf.Â My urine also changed color too, but I’ll let you imagine that one.Â I’ll forgo any details.Â Grade: A+Â I changed color dude!
- Fog:Â A mind is a terrible thing to waste, and mine is in a fog right now.Â I was in a total fog my first day back at work.Â I did not trust myself driving until a week after chemo.Â It gets better with time.Â I just wonder what the cumulative effect is.Â Now, what was I posting about…..?Â grade:D
- Insomnia:Â I have enough problems with this without chemo.Â Yuck.Â I was on sleeping pills and still up for more than half the night.Â Couple that with a foggy brain and it just ain’t fun.Â Grade: F
- Stamina:Â Yep, I had the strength to sit around the house all day and maybe even paint some furniture too.Â I did a couple small odd jobs but that was it.Â I could not have survived a day at the office.Â The good news is that I didn’t have to survive that day.Â Â Â Did the chemo zap me or was I just exhausted from the previous night’s lack of sleep.Â Grade: B
- Mood swings:Â Debbi claims that I am more irritable and grumpy.Â I don’t see it.Â It must be her problem.
- Food cravings:Â I have been very careful to eat only what my body wants and not to force the issue.Â I am also trying to still eat a South Beach friendly diet.Â So, of course, my body wants carbs.Â Lots and lots of carbs.Â I have a couple of salads, but rabbit food just doesn’t do it for me.Â I have been eating fruits still.Â If I don’t want it, I don’t eat it.Â Grade: B
- Hair:Â What little hair I have, I still have.Â But not for long.Â I was warned that my hair would fall out between day 15 and 17.Â Well, Merry Christmas to you too!Â My hair should start falling out Christmas Eve if it holds too the schedule.Â I have noticed that my beard is growing very, very slow right now.Â It has almost completely stopped growing.Â Once it starts, I plan on helping it.Â I will look like a bowling ball pretty soon.Â I will be as sharp as one too.Â Grade: Incomplete
Overall Grade: CÂ Chemo could certainly be better.Â It could also be much worse.Â The only fear (is fear itself) is what the cumulative effects are.Â If this is as bad as it gets, then the doctors are right.Â This is the cancer you want to get.